Saturday, June 30, 2012

48- 48 bucks to camp!?!

50ish miles to West Yellowstone
We took another short day so we wouldn't have to rush through Yellowstone. I really enjoyed my time in the Park. It was beautiful, and mostly pleasant to ride through. We had a few RVs that came a little too close, but at least they were traveling 45 and not 65mph. It is very expensive to do anything in the park however, like $3.45 for a shower and $8.95 for a bbq sammich.
We saw two moose, were not eaten or mauled by any grizzlies, nor were we charged or gored by any buffalo.
We did come out from the general store at Old Faithful to find two bikes on the sidewalk and one very badly crushed helmet. I hope it was a freak gust of wind and not a meany-mean person. Abi rode the last 30 miles to West Yellowstone with no helmet, what a rebel!
We got here before the bike shop closed and Abi was able to get a new snazzy helmet. Thanks Free Heel and Wheel, yall rock!
Then came the chore of finding a place to stay. Camping for more than I have paid for a hotel? No Way! A hotel room for more than a entry level hybrid bike? I think not!
Thanks to our new friend Sam, we have a nice warm and free place to stay here in highdollarville. Sam is a cyclist (who has even done some touring in South America) who offered his kitchen floor to us when he saw us riding around with looks of hopelessness.
He sat through all 4billion of my photos from the trip and shared a few of his touring photos. Sam can't thank you enough, you are the man!
Stoked to see what tomorrow has in store.
T.
PS we got state #8 today. Montana!!



2 comments:

  1. Thomas, I got behind when I lost internet service for a week, but I had to tell you how much I enjoy your blog! Going places I've never been, and DELIGHTFUL writing ! What an adventure.
    Sandy Davidson

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just too cool. or I was. for that day.

    ReplyDelete