Thursday, June 14, 2012

32- Power of positivity

Ness City to Leoti.
80 miles
I woke up totally un-enthused about the idea of riding my bike across the notsogreat plains, much less in the wind. That attitude made the first 16 miles miserable, all I could think about is how much I hated the state of Kansas. I didn't do my usual smile and wave at every other car that passed, no singing with the radio just sat there grumpy.
I made the decision at lunch to stop focusing on the negative and enjoy the ride even if it wasn't the most fun. It worked, the sky was a bit bluer, the car drivers waved and smiled, and the wind felt like it was helping a bit more than it was slowing. The rest of the day was a blast after I changed my outlook.
Moral of the story, don't be grumpy when you are riding your bike. It defeats the purpose of riding. If you do happen to find yourself grumbling about- stop, relax and quit being a idiot.
I saw 6 cyclists heading East today, none of us stopped to chat- though I don't think we could have heard each other over the wind.
More feed lots, combines, and yup that's is about it.
I have clean clothes thanks to the laundromat in Leoti. I will now be able to go into stores with out clearing the place out.
Camping at another city park tonight. Woot.
T.



2 comments:

  1. Great lesson for all of us, Thomas. Thanks for sharing your insight and putting things into perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  2. forgotttt about that awesome kid being pulled by his gramps via the riding lawnmower. One of the reasons why this night sticks out as one of my favorite from the whole trip. Such good mexican. such a crazy storm. Such beautiful night farming. Such nice, clean clothes.

    ReplyDelete