Friday, June 8, 2012

26- KANSAS!

Golden City Missouri to Walnut Kansas
60ish miles.
The park last night was a interesting experience. Turns out when there is no WalMart parking lot to loiter in, high school kids hang out at city parks. There was a steady flow of cars and trucks in and out until 11pm. I had my fill of  bad loud music and yelling 17 year olds'. Mom and Dad if I was ever that obnoxious when I was a teen I am very sorry.
Aside from that it was a pleasant place to stay. The shower was very much so appreciated.
We hit up Cooky's Cafe for breakfast on our way out of town. I had a piece of Dutch Apple pie for dessert. I am going to miss all the delicious pies of Golden City.
We hit state #5 today. Kansas!!! Goodbye Missouri you were great to us. The first stop in Kansas was in Pittsburgh at the local bike shop. It was no East Coasters, but they had the bare necessities.  We picked up chain lube and a continental gator skin to replace the worn rear tire on Abi's Felt. The U.S.S. Adventure is looking sharp now with a fresh tire. (the bottom bracket however decided it wanted to start creaking just outside of town, it will have to wait till pueblo.)
Tonight we are staying at the Immanuel Lutheran Church just outside of Walnut Kansas. There was a nice little sign out front welcoming cyclists.  Its a very nice place with a loaded pantry which they invite cyclists to make use of. We fixed farm fresh eggs for dinner. How very nice!
No turtle rescues in the past few days but I was able to stop at a bridge and turtle watch today. Some folks like bird watching but I find reptile gazing to be far more interesting. I saw seven different turtles at once at this particular spot. All floating with their heads above water enjoying the warm day. I got some nice photos of them with my real camera.
The drivers here are amazing, most of them give you the full lane when passing.
Love T.
P.s I fixed the blog were anyone can comment. You're welcome ;)

4 comments:

  1. You were not tooooo obnoxious as a teen ;) I love reading your blogs - Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thomas, sounds like you are having fun. I am in Marshfield tonight. Say hi to Abi.

    Bill Potts

    ReplyDelete
  3. If that BB gets too loud and cranky, you might try this shop in Newton. It's about 150 miles from Walnut on route.

    Great Plains Bicycle Repair
    116 E. 14th St.
    Newton , KS 67114
    316-283-5752

    Good luck and be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dont' think you saw my comment yesterday. I spent my well-deserved lunch hour (which I normally don't take) getting caught up with you. Wow, what an adventure! Glad you having fun. If I were 40 years younger, I think this would inspire me to try something similar. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete