Wednesday, June 13, 2012

31-Power naps do the body good

Larned to Ness City- a very very windy 50 something miles.
I missed riding with the three amigos by thirty min or so this morning. Abi and I are just a hair too slow getting up, not to mention the fact those three are completely silent in the mornings. I think they may be ninjas.
I would compare today's riding to a dog sticking its head out the window for a 5 hour car ride. Only I don't happen to enjoy that experience as much as my Dutch pup would have.
The wind blew a steady 15 mph from the south all day long. Not so much fun for riding, but that was a great excuse for a long breakfast stop, a power nap break, and a two hour long lunch stop.
We got onto route 96 today which is the road we will follow all the way to Colorado. Yay for 4 days on the same road.
I was passed by at least 10 combines being trailered West. Apparently land owners contract out the harvesting. These rigs take up a lane and a half but luckily they are very respectful to cyclists. I prefer to pull over and gawk rather than brave riding the shoulder with one of them passing. Also I saw three blades to a wind turbine being hauled east. These suckers were huuge! I'm not sure how long but I sure hope I get to see a functioning one before this trip is over.
We met a cyclist heading East in Ness City. His name was Scott McCrarry, the owner of a  shop specializing in tandems, recumbent, and touring bikes in South Carolina.  He joined the five of us for dinner at the Mexican restaurant. He was a very personable fellow with lots of good info to share with Abi regarding the western express route. He snuck off right after he finished with his dinner and payed for all of our dinners. So Mr. McCrary thank you for dinner it was nice meeting you and safe travels.
http://www.ttrbikes.com/
Yet another good day on the road.
T.


No comments:

Post a Comment