Friday, July 13, 2012

61- Oregon-mi

81 miles- Campground on the snake river to Baker City
We rose with the sun and rode like the wind... untill Abi flatted. Then we fixed tires like the wind. Well okay thats nothing like the wind.
There is a old saying in cycling that goes something like, "For every flat there is a reason, a reason far more meaningful than a puncture or pinch" (thats not a real saying (but it is now (feel free to use it))).
Well, as we were putting the wheel back on the USS Adventure a cyclist stopped to check on us. Harmony was riding from San Fran to Missoula annd her rear tire was threadbare. So Abi passed on her tire she had just removed. I think Abi saved her some headache. Good work team!
We ended up crushing out the 80 miles to Baker like it was no biggie. I arrived barely showing signs of riding. Abi never broke a sweat. Lies all lies. It was freaking hot! Just as I realized my blood was on the verge of boiling the rain came. I rode the last five miles in a decent little down pour as Abi waited for me under a tree.
We are in Oregon, yes the final state of this here cross country bike trip. Crazy you say? I agree! It seems like just yesterday I was riding the Colonial Parkway with a belly full of Grande breakfast. We are less than two weeks away from the end.
In other less bittersweet news, (this,news is just sweet) we are staying at a wonderful warm showers host in Baker City. We have a load of laundry in the dryer, a belly full of pasta and ice cream, and nice beds to rest our little heads.
Life is good, Oregon has made a wonderful first impression annnd imma bout to fall asleep.
Your friend, cousin, brother, son, grandson, random acquaintance, friend of a friend, or however you know me.
T.H.
Ps our host raises guide puppies for blind folk. Yeah its pretty dang cool, I know.


2 comments:

  1. Great post! Very funny! Thanks for all you do for Abs, and for just being you! Mama Candler

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww my mama. and dude i love the parentheses within parentheses action going on in this post. a big heck yes to that berry-laden ice cream. mmmmmmmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete