Monday, July 2, 2012

50- The Principle of Zen Bonk

71- Ennis to Dillon
As I was composing a to-do list for this cross country trip a friend on mine suggested that I add "finding my zen bonk" to the list. He is a very credible source as he has completed the S.M. 100 on a ridged single speed for a number of years and to the best of my knowledge ridden the continental divide route.
Most of you are probably familiar with the concept of Zen, so I won't get into that. But I'm guessing that the term bonking is a head scratcher.
Well bonking is a cyclist term for hitting the wall, or running out of steam. Put the principle of Zen with a good old fashion bonk and you have todays ride.
A zen bonk occurs on a day that is just a bit longer than you want it to be, with temperatures just higher than comfortable, with winds just strong enough to slow you and inclines steep enough to bug you. On a ideal day you will never find your zen bonk, you will be too focused on how much fun you are having or how great your legs feel, it's the days that things just aren't clicking that it will be waiting.
My legs feel sluggish...shut it out. Ignore them. I'm hot...get over it. I wish I could pull over and nap... You will never finish if you quit now... Ahhh Ha!  ZEN BONK!
Through all the inconveniences of today's ride I found a appreciation for what it is I am doing, a respect for my surroundings, and motivation to push through. Though I wanted to stop a number of times and call it a day, I pushed through and Montana rewarded me with a beautiful ride.
The sky was just the right shade of blue, the mountains grand enough, and the clouds dense enough to allow me to forget all my worries.
A very very nice end to the day.
T.



2 comments:

  1. missing my favorite mechanic but enjoying your stories even more. So glad Abi stayed on with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovin these people that appreciated i stayed with you, when they don't even know me. I feel the anonymous love, and i love it.

    ReplyDelete