Wednesday, July 4, 2012

51- Road Agents and Vigilanties

27 miles- Dillon to Bannack State Park
30 mph headwind = longest climb of my life. We stopped about 8 miles in and considered turning around and going back to the koa in Dillon. After much debate we decided little progress was better than no progress, so we pushed on. I eventually did push actually... I stopped put on my crocs and walked my bike because I was fed up with being blown off the road. Silly silly wind.
I tried hitch hiking but no trucks would stop, only response I got was a few waves and one middle finger. Still not sure why, but I guess meanies gonna be mean.
I eventually ran out of water and I stopped sticking my thumb out and started shaking my water bottle. A very nice lady in a white Chevy stopped and i was able to fill my bottles.
Abi and I were both spent by the time we got to the bottom of the first pass, luckily Bannet State Park was 4 miles off route. There we met two of the nicest people yet.
Paul and Jamie Jackson of Texas, are spending their summer volunteering at the park. They host at the campground as well as work the visitor center and do other odd jobs. One of their odd jobs on that breezy Tuesday included restoring team turtles spirits. By the time we reached the campground Abi and I were both exhausted to the verge of tears. I put up my tent, got in and was just about asleep when Paul came over to check on us.
It wasn't long after that when he returned with two plates full of stuffed peppers and mashed potatoes. Delicious! We were also treated to ice cream and invited into their home to relax. They treated us like family!! Thanks so much to the Jacksons for their hospitality and encouragement! You guys have no idea how much it meant.
We checked out the town after we came back to life. Bannack is a period mining town with lots of very interesting history. We learned of gun fights, robbers and corruption.  Very thankful the wind pointed us towards Bannack!
I rested well and my spirits were lifted. On to day 52.

1 comment:

  1. so so so so so so so good. i decided we should find out where the jacksons are posted next summer (and they said they might try virginia?) and we should take a trip to them. that is if they're still there in september. which i guess they might be gone. hm.

    ReplyDelete