Thursday, July 5, 2012

53- How can I go when the wheels don't roll?

75 miles from Wisdom to Hamilton
Brrrr! A cloudy morning made for a cold first 19 miles. The climb warmed me up though. I opted for the Gibbons Pass alternate. It was a beautiful gravel road that put a big smile on my face. I rolled along beside a creek and got a beautiful view of the surrounding mountains at the top.
I was having a bit too much fun on the descent and got a good taste of Montana ground. My speed was higher than a loaded touring bike likes to travel on a gravel road. The front fender got all wild and shaky, and some how ended up getting sucked up into the wheel, locking my front wheel and pitching me over the bars.
Lesson of the day, save the rough roads for a mountain bike. It was fun, but my arm, shoulder and knee tell me they are not sure it was worth it.
In other news I saved a kitten from the middle of the road today. It was a little Siamese booger that came a few inches away from being squished.
I was sitting there wondering what in the heck I was going to do with a kitten when a lady in a teal ford Taurus stopped. She had seen the little ones brush with death and stopped to make sure it was okay. Thank goodness she took it, I don't think kittens travel well in paniers.
We are camping in a families yard from Virginia! What a small world.
Montana is great, I now hate fenders, and am stoked I can keep on riding after my trip over the bars.
Looooove T.



2 comments:

  1. Thomas stay off those dirt roads, hope you are not too sore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I remember you telling me about that kitten! why didn't we keep it as our mascot!!!?

    ReplyDelete