Monday, May 14, 2012

Day one- A great success


Day one couldn't have gone better. It began when I woke up at what I thought had to be 7 am, anxious to begin, only to find out that it was still 1:30 in the morning. Thankfully I was able to make myself go back to sleep long enough for the sun to rise. I got up at six, packed my bags, and checked over my bike. After thanking John again for the use of his guest room we hopped on our bikes. We rode, with no particular destination as we had 2 hours to burn before we were to meet Abbi for breakfast. As we rolled slowly along the waterfront Michael pointed out two sets of tire tracks, deep in the sand. A result of the ceremonial dipping of the rear tire in the York River. We then rode to the Victory monument, the official beginning of the Transamerican route. It was much larger and far more impressive that the photos made it out to be.



We then rolled to the Duke of York motor hotel/ restaurant to meet Abbi and get fueled up for day one. We got there just as she was pulling in. Her mother and father treated us to breakfast. Yumm yumm (the Grande Breakfast was on special and everybody ordered it, knowing what they didn't finish Micheal or I would.)



Before I knew it we were rolling towards the waterfront and then pushing our bikes through the deep sand. Turns out that pushing a fully loaded touring bike through sand is much more difficult that I would have ever imagined. We dipped, smiled, cheered and then awkwardly shoved, pulled and wiggled our bikes back to solid land. I'm thankful that my bike tires wont see sand for quite some time.

We said our goodbyes clipped in and took off. Riding towards the Colonial Parkway. It had begun! After years of dreaming and months of planning it had begun. We rode slowly and quietly alongside the York River. It wasn't long before we caught a glimpse of another loaded cyclist ahead. Abbi joked that it was surely Mark, a yacht captain from California who was to ride with us but stopped corresponding back in March. We thought maybe that he still planned on riding but didn't feel like being social. I think he is avoiding us! From that moment on each person riding solo shall now be known as Mark.

We met two other cyclist as the day went on, AJ who was riding a Orange Salsa Vaya- very lightly loaded (he passed us at what seemed to be mach 7), and John from Jersey atop a metallic blue Motobecane loaded to the brim with bags, acessocies and water bottles. He rode with us for the majority of the day, later admitting that he liked our pace much more that he liked his own. We were in no hurry, rolling slowing along laughing, singing and joking about the whereaboust of Mark.

We spotted three snapping turtles two of which had made it safely across the Parkway and one unfortunate soul who didn't.


John split off the group to stay the evening with some friends of his in Richmond and we exchanged information. I hope he is able to catch back up and ride with us more in the days to come.


We are staying at the Willis Methodist Church tonight just a mile or so outside of Glendale. The three of us set up camp in the auxiliary building behind the church. It is cool, quiet and going to be very appreciated as I think it is suppose to storm tonight. So far there as three others staying here along with us. AJ who was very well settled by the time we got here, and the sweetest couple from the Netherlands who are very experienced at bike touring. Their bikes are the most impressive I have seen yet. They are  Idworx equipped with 14 speed internally geared rear hub, a dynamo front hub that powers the front and rear lights as well as a usb outlet on the topcap of the bike. Coool rides for sure.  



My bike feels great, heavy but great. Everything is working just as it should. 



We rode around 65 miles today, laughed until I thought I was going to fall off the bike, and will surely hear some great stories from Stan and Daniell this evening (the Dutch couple). 





All for now.

T.hash

2 comments:

  1. Your first day sounds great and I love reading your Blog. I love you. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. So good. so so good. That first day was hilarious. but the name is spelled A-B-I...;)

    ReplyDelete