Saturday, May 26, 2012

Day 13- It's getting hot hot hot


We rolled out of Berea early this morning to beat the heat. It didn't work, by 9am we were stopping to cool down at lil' store. It was a neat gas station with quite the collection of taxidermy. I decided that its never too early for lunch so I ordered a ham n turkey sandwich and a extra one for the road. Delish!
I felt like a piece of bacon riding a bike for the majority of the day. I could feel my insides cooking. Thank goodness for 50 spf sun block and my sweeeet safari shirt Kirby hooked me up with. It was in the mid 90s all day with a heat index of 106.
I have been jamming out to my radio  (which I have recently relocated to my front rack for easy tuning). It seemed like the pesky weather report would come  on every other song reminding me of how hot it was.
The best radio moment yet happened today, I rolled into Burgin a hot spot for motorcycles, absolutely rocking out to eye of the tiger. I rolled my rig right up to the parking lot full of bikers and lifted it up on the center stand like I stopped in there everyday after work. By the time I could get my helmet off they were rolling out.
I must of scared them off! Yeah right.
We stopped in Kentucky's first settlement, Harrodsburg to take a breather and cool off. We ended up finding a place called Kentucky Fudge. It was a beautiful old general store converted into a ice cream shop and cafe. I ordered a large coke float, who cares that I had just had ice cream not a hour before at a gas station. We ended up sitting at chilling for at least a hour.
Today we knocked another 74 or so miles off the maps. Not bad if I do say so myself.
We are camping at the Lincoln Homestead State Park. Turns out our man Abe was actually born in Kentucky.
There is power outlets here at the pavilion so I can charge my camera and a bathroom! Living a life of luxury!  The water from the faucet looked more like milk than water so I went out on the search for clear cool water. Ended up running into a family cleaning up from a wedding. I filled my bottles at their cabin and even got a bag of ham biscuits for the road. I love people!
I'm glad to be at the park and glad its cooling down. I love ice cream, sun block and air conditioning.


Looooooooooooove Mr. bacon... I mean T.




1 comment: