Tuesday, May 29, 2012

16 - 1k and first rain!!

Today we hit the 1,000 mile mark!
I woke up at 5:30 am to crashes of thunder like I had never heard before. The sound seemed to keep coming for 30 seconds at a time. Then came the rain, the first round lasted until 8:30 or so. When it let up I poked my head out of my tent and was a bit surprised to see the sun shining. I packed up my panniers and rushed to get my bike ready, as round two was closing in quick from the west.
As I threw my leg over my bike the rain drops started to fall. I made it to the laundry room just up the hill from my camp site when it really started to throw down. I hung out there for a good half hour before I made a run for the lodge. Abi was waiting there for me - drenched. We went and filled up with breakfast and coffee and then we hit the road.
The first two hours of the day was spent riding in rain. Its actually pretty fun to ride in the rain. It's when it stops when you pay for it. My toes, hands and bum were all water logged.
Aside from the rain and one slight detour as a result of my negligence, the ride was great. The rain brought the turtles out - bringing my turtle rescue number up to seven.
The terrain is a blast to ride on. Its been fun putting my big rig to use.
I love these gentle rolling hills and beautiful farms. A few of the fields resembled lakes after the morning storms.
We knocked off 70 miles of the route, but thanks to my detour, the mileage for the day was closer to 80.
We are staying at the First Baptist Church here in Sebree. It is ammaaazing. The hospitality has yet again been phenomenal. Bob, the pastor, gave us the grand tour and told us supper was at seven. His wife Violet had made spaghetti and man o man was it great. I made mention that Abi had been craving watermelon and every one gave her a hard time about taking all the watermelon for herself. She ended up leaving with a to-go bag.
I checked out the Pastors bike for him and pointed out a few things I would address to get it back up to speed.
Yet again a amazing day on the bike. Kentucky is a beautiful place, the people are super nice.
Loooove T!


No comments:

Post a Comment